As you may know, there are 2 main types of push ups: Chest push ups & Tricep push ups.
Since we went over the details of a tricep push up in last week’s tip, let’s change the hand position a bit to focus on the chest muscles.
- Start with a solid plank position with the hands under the shoulders.
- Then take your hand position wider, at least a hands-distance to the right & to the left .
- As you bend the elbows & lower down, the elbows should be mostly over the wrists at the bottom of the move.
- Keep your hands in line with your chest throughout the entire phase of the repetition.
- Keep the back of your neck long by focusing your eyes on the floor between your fingertips. Your head should not droop, nor should you be looking up - either of these positions can strain the neck.
Most women I start training have told me that they can’t do push ups. I say nay! Honestly, the biggest issue is setting them up with proper joint alignment so you have a chance at doing them successfully.
When the joint alignment is off, you have zero power & strength.
Get this set up a try & post below - how did you do?
Remember, doing these on the toes is the most difficult.
Easier: Knees to the floor is the next modification.
Easiest: Knees under the hips with your ass in the air takes the pressure off the arms & uses the legs for support.
The best way to improve your chest push ups is to do them REALTIME with me & the MissFits! Rather than taking this tip & trying it without me, join in on the fun and I’ll coach you through the whole process.
RealFit Kick & Box: Master The Moves! Heart Pump No Jump Workout
There are just some days your joints need a break... & these workouts prove that you don’t have to jump around & add all sorts of impact to get a sound, solid & effective workout. In fact, sometimes taking the bounce out, makes you work even harder because you use less momentum & more power, strength & focus.
This kickboxing challenge keeps it to the basics – jab, cross, hook & upper cut & then front kick, back kick, side kick & roundhouses, so it’s a complete kickboxing challenge to do again & again to refine your punches & improve coordination through your kicks. I throw in push ups & some plank work for good measure.
Not even jumping jacks in this one! *gasp!*
It’s 45 minutes, so give it your all! Focus on mastering the moves & throw those punches & kicks with gusto!
Here's what some RealFitters had to say about Master The Moves! Heart Pump No Jump Workout: